The first step to getting a job today is to create and upload your resume. The way you used to create a resume some years ago is very different from the way companies want you to. So, if you want to understand how to create a Data Science resume, this article is for you. In this article, I will take you through a guide on how to create a Data Science resume.
Here’s How to Create a Data Science Resume
Step 1: Always Start with Your Contact Information
After writing your name as the header of your resume, the first information the recruiter should see about you is your contact information.
Your contact information should include:
- Your email id
- Your Contact Number (It’s a personal choice)
- A link to your LinkedIn profile
- A link to your Github profile
- A link to your portfolio (if any)
Step 2: Write a Summary to Summarize Yourself
The next step is to write a summary to summarize yourself. The way you need to write a summary is different for a fresher and an experienced professional.
If you are a fresher, you need to write something that describes an answer to the question: “Why Should We Hire You?”. So as a fresher, write 2-3 sentences to summarize your skills, career goals, mindset, and potential.
As an experienced professional, your summary should highlight your career achievements, skills, and expertise.
Step 3: Write about your Work Experience/Projects
If you are an experienced professional, write about your work experience in this section. And if you are a fresher, write about your projects.
As an experienced professional, your work experience section should show all your working experience over the years in a format as shown below:
- Data Scientist
- Name of the Company, Location, (Time Period)
- what was your role in the company
- what problems and projects have you solved in the company
- how your solutions helped the company in saving time, reducing costs, or maximizing profits
And as a fresher, your projects section should show all the projects you did in a format as shown below:
- Title of the Project
- Write an overview of the project
- skills and tools used in the project
- approach, algorithm, or concepts used in the project
- achievements, if any (like the highest accuracy achieved if it was solved in a competition or Kaggle)
- your findings and learnings from the project
Step 4: Write About Your Skills
Now in this section, write about all the relevant skills you have for the Data Science job you are applying for.
Always edit this section of your resume before applying for the job. Whenever you are applying for a job, make sure most of the skills mentioned in the job description are mentioned in your resume too. This will help your resume in getting shortlisted for the interview call.
Step 5: Write About Your Educational Qualifications
Write your educational qualifications that you got from a university. Don’t write about your certifications in this section. Below is a format that you can follow to write about your educational qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- The University of XYZ, Location
- Time Period
- Relevant Coursework – Data Structures and Algorithms, Machine Learning, Database Systems, Software Engineering
Step 6: Write About Your Certifications
In the end, you can mention your certifications if you have any. Having a certification isn’t necessary, but if you have one, mention it in the format shown below:
- Data Science Professional Certificate
- Name of the Organization that issued the certificate
- The date on which the certificate was issued
So this is how you can prepare a Data Science resume as a fresher and experienced professional. Feel free to write about your interests, hobbies, and languages you know at the end.
You can find some valuable and ATS-friendly templates to create a Data Science resume from here.
So here’s the complete process of creating a Data Science resume:
- Step 1: Start with your contact information
- Step 2: Write a summary to summarize yourself
- Step 3: Write about your work experience/ projects
- Step 4: Write about your skills
- Step 5: Write about your educational qualifications
- Step 6: Write about your certifications
I hope you liked this article on how to create a Data Science resume. Feel free to ask valuable questions in the comments section below.