Games are computer programs or software applications that contain a bunch of instructions. While Python is not a popular programming language for game development, it can nonetheless be used to create many different types of games. So in this article, I’m going to present to you a complete roadmap on how to learn game development with Python.
Types of Games You Can Make with Python
There are many categories of games ranging from simple one-button games to advanced 3D games. As Python is not a popular language for game development like C++ or C#, so you should know what kinds of games you can create using Python before you start your journey towards game development with Python. So here are the types of games you can create using Python:
- One-button games
- Puzzle games
- Platform games
- Multiplayer games
I hope you now have understood what type of games you can make with Python. In the section below, I will take you through the complete roadmap on how to learn game development with Python.
Roadmap to Learn Game Development with Python
To learn game development with python, you first have to learn the fundamentals of the Python programming language. After learning the fundamentals of Python, you have to learn some Python modules that you need for creating games using Python. So below are all the modules that you need to learn game development with Python:
- Pygame: It is designed for creating games in Python. Using this module, you can easily add and control game characters, update scores and timers, use special animations and graphics, and use gamepads and joystick to control the game.
- Random: When creating a game, the random module can be used to pick a random number or shuffle a list of values at random. It is used to add an element of luck to your game.
- Math: It is a standard Python module that can be used to perform simple calculations in your game.
- Time: It provides tools to work with dates and time while creating an application, so it will be beneficial for adding elements related to date and time to your game.
- Tkinter: You must have used the Tkinter module in Python before. It is used to build GUI applications that let a user interact with your application. So it will be helpful for you to create your game interactive and user-friendly.
So these were all the Python modules that you need to learn for creating games using Python. After learning these modules you can practice some projects on game development with Python from here. I hope you liked this article on how to learn game development with Python. Feel free to ask your valuable questions in the comments section below.