The process of a coding interview remains the same in most of the big tech companies and MNCs. In most of the coding interviews, you find problems based on the concepts of data structures and algorithms to check your problem-solving skills. In this article, I will take you through the process of a coding interview.
Process of a Coding Interview
The purpose of a coding interview is only to test your problem-solving skills. Most of the issues you face in a coding interview are questions you may never have asked because they are worded by the interviewer based on their experience and the type of issues the company go through daily.
There is a higher chance that you get only one question in a coding interview so whenever the interviewer explains to you a problem statement take your time to understand it and try to ask for more details about that problem statement to understand how you are going to solve it.
The entire process of a coding interview revolves around your problem-solving skills so you should always discuss and communicate with the interviewer about your approach to solve the problem. Communicating about your thought process will help you in two ways:
- Firstly, it will show your communication skills
- and secondly, it will show how you think while solving a problem.
In the end, the interviewer will decide how you performed in the interview by discussing with the other seniors and analyzing your performance by giving a score to each criterion involved in analyzing your performance. Most of the big tech companies analyze your performance in a coding interview based on the skills mentioned below:
- Analytical Skills: The interviewer analyzes your analytical skills by recalling how much help you asked for while solving the problems that were given to you and how optimal your solutions were and how much time you took for solving each problem.
- Coding Skills: Your coding skills are scored based on how much you were successful in translating your thought process into a piece of code.
- Fundamentals: Your fundamentals can be scored by how much knowledge you carry about the job and the relevant technologies.
- Experience: If you are having experience working in an organization or working as a freelancer you will always be given a priority. If you are giving your first coding interview then the projects mentioned in your resume are analyzed based on how much interesting and unique they are.
- Communication Skills: Communication skills matters a lot in any kind of job. The interviewer can score your communication skills based on how you explained your thought process while solving a problem.
So this is the complete process of a coding interview. You can have a look at some of the most popular coding interview solved and explained using Python from here. I hope you liked this article on the process of a coding interview. Feel free to ask your valuable questions in the comments section below.